A technophile lawyer rediscovers the joys of pen and paper

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

So I bought my first Estie . . . (Updated)

My first Estie

Hadn't seen an Esterbrook in this finish before, it is fully restored, and there were few bidders, so I jumped on it for just $23. It's a beautiful pen.

I hate it.

So far.

I realize I didn't go top-of-the-line with a 2668 nib (firm medium), but geez, these thing is so scratchy I half expect it to cut right through the paper!

I know that the 2668 has no hard metal added to the tip of the nib and has the tines rolled under instead. Can these be made to write smoothly? Or am I going to have to fork out some dough for a 9000 series nib?

Until I find out otherwise, I'm going to assume the nib tines are misaligned. At least I hope they are. I hate to think this is the normal feel to this nib.

I know I've got that loupe around here somewhere . . . .

Update: I looked at the nib under a magnifying glass and could find nothing obviously wrong with it. Nonetheless, I asked the seller for a replacement nib, and . . . problem solved!

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Don't let one scratchy nib sour you on some of the most durable and wonderful vintage pens out there! 1xxx and 2xxx series nibs are often misaligned and may need a little experimentation to find the "sweet spot" because they can develop worn spots after 60 years...
    I don't have any 9xxx nibs yet but a 1551 and a 2556 are among my smoothest nibs. You probly have a misaligned nib.
    Also you don't need to break the bank on a 9xxx nib - some are very affordable. Check Esterbrook.net for a wealth of info and some good nibs prices. Also Binder has fair prices on NOS nibs.
    If you find you really can't like that Estie then I know a place where it would have a good home... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a big bunch of Esterbrook nibs of all types, some are great and others are scratchy, it's been sort of random. But I will say that the 2668 is my favourite nib, not only among my Esterbrooks but across my entire pen collection, and I have over fifty FPs worth between $1 and $500. Just get another nib or two and keep experimenting. These Esterbrooks are totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete