A technophile lawyer rediscovers the joys of pen and paper

Friday, July 1, 2011

My vanishing Pilot Vanishing Point

That is not a typo in the title of this post.

I refer to my "vanishing" Pilot Vanishing Point because (1) at the moment, I can't find it (unfortunately, my relatively newfound fastidiousness has slipped a bit lot of late); and (2) it is vanishing . . . from my collection; I'm about to sell it. Point 1 will take care of itself in time. Let's concentrate on point 2, and figure out why I am putting this pen up for sale on eBay or Fountain Pen Network.

There's nothing really wrong with this pen, but I think I bought it for the wrong reasons.

What sold me on it was the clickable nib. I thought it would be convenient because even though I do almost all my work on a computer, I probably pick up my pen between 50 and 100 times a day between notes to my assistant and keeping my timesheet.

Aside from the click nib, there was nothing else calling out to me from this pen. I don't find it particularly beautiful. In fact, I find it somewhat ungainly; with that clicker on the end, it just doesn't look right. The nib doesn't write as smoothly as some of my other pens. In short, it didn't hit any of my hot buttons. It seemed to have so many devotees on FPN, though, that I figured I'd grow to love it.

A clickable fountain pen nib?
What will they think of next?
I've had it two months, and I remain very "meh" about it. It writes great, and unlike some, I haven't found the placement of the clip to present any problems for my grip on the pen. And the click nib is not only functional and convenient for the reasons I mentioned above, it has a sort of geeky wow! factor to it. (When I first saw a VP last year, I thought to myself, what will they come up with next? Then I learned the pen has been around for more than 40 years.)

But I'm never drawn to pick up this pen, except to try it "one more time" to figure out what I don't like about it. I have to keep forcing myself to use it. I shouldn't feel that way about a pen that retails for $160. I'm sticking to my hot buttons from here on out.

So, it's going up for sale. When I get it posted on FPN or eBay, I'll update this post with the link, so keep checking back if you're interested in it. (I figure to price it around $110.)

UPDATE: (1) Found it! (I'd left it with my notebook-loving colleague to try for a few days.) (2) The sale listing is up on FPN. $110 with box and converter, includes shipping to USA address.

Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. Cool, I really need to buy another one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I really do not like mine and have been thinking for months that I should sell it. Much happier with my Lamy Safari.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notebooker, what are your top three picks for smoothness?

    And then what are your top three overall selections?

    I'd have to say selection, a composite of both categories, in no particular order, would be:
    1. Pelikan M205 EF
    2. Parker 51 M
    3. Pilot 78G or Cavalier (tough to choose between these two for value).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you loose it, I suggest you get a new one. I just damaged the nib of mine and I'm very upset....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with your thoughts that you shouldn't keep a pen you have "to force" yourself to use! I did buy one of these as a gift for a friend who I think will really like it. For myself, the nib is great but the pen overall is unattractive and thus I'll never have one. There hasn't been a clickable pen that I've been drawn to. Sometimes I think it's just nostalgia for clickable ballpoints. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete