A technophile lawyer rediscovers the joys of pen and paper

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Busted!

My recently acquired passion for pen and paper may have just landed me in hot water.

I've always been messy. A slob, some would say.

And then I got interested in pens and paper. That's one area of my life where I am not messy. I'm fastidious, even. I mentioned this rather amazing development while commenting in a post at A Penchant for Paper nearly three months ago, when blogger Heather asked in the title of her post, What Do Our Pens Tell Us About Ourselves?

Well, my wife has been noticing how I keep my pens so orderly. How I tenderly insert my pens into their pen roll, then carefully roll them up and tie the ribbon. How I carefully order my ink bottles and wipe them off when they get dusty. How thoroughly I flush my pens and lay them out carefully to dry.

She also notices that I manage to do these things just moments after leaving my shoes under the coffee table, dirty socks on the floor next to the bed, and an empty dish on the table next to the sofa after ice cream. And she figures if I can be so neat about my pens and inks, why can't I be that neat about everything?

The simple answer, of course, is that we fuss over what we care about. But she has a point. I wish she didn't!

Like I said. Busted.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I read this entry out loud to my husband, who is guilty of similar crimes. His toolbox, drafting supplies and drafting moleskine - meticulous!

    Desk? Clothes/socks/shoes? Coffee cups? NO.

    He at least had the decency to look a bit chastised. Not much mind you, but better than nothing I suppose!

    ReplyDelete