A technophile lawyer rediscovers the joys of pen and paper

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Making the most of a parking ticket

Parking ticket in Oslo, Norway.Image via WikipediaNothing like getting a parking ticket right in front of your own house. But that's what happened to me this week. I usually park in the back, but after having my gas tank siphoned twice in a week, I decided to park in front of the house, where a gas thief will be more exposed, until I can get a locking gas cap.

Geez, didn't I just write something in my last post about trying not to bore people?

Anyway . . . because I'm not used to parking out front, I forgot that the streetsweepers come through on the first and third Tuesday mornings each month, and my wife wasn't here to remind me, so I got a ticket.

So, how did I make the best of it? I got out a nice Crane's envelope, my newest pen, and my wax seals . . . and sent off perhaps the most elegantly posted parking ticket payment the processing center will see all month (if you don't take my handwriting into account):



I'm wondering of the clerk who gets this will even notice it among the hundreds or thousands of others to be opened that week. But of course, I didn't do it for the clerk, I did it for me. It's such a pleasure to use the good stuff!

Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. That must have at least taken some of the edge off the annoyance of getting the ticket. I guess any excuse to pull out the writing tools is good enough, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad luck!
    Here the street sweepers just go round you. Maybe the old UK is not so bureaucratic after all.
    I read this a while ago - it might just refer to our system where the car registration number is written on the ticket.
    If you get a ticket look for another car with one. If you find one throw his away and leave yours instead. Chances are he'll pay it without looking at the number so your ticket will be paid and he'll be chased for the unpaid fine. Mean huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that really sucks! Still, I wonder who the hell still siphons gas in this day and age.

    Unless I missed one of your posts, what pen is that? It looks very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @peninkcillin:

    The siphoning is explained by gas in my neck of the woods being around $4.25/gal.

    The pen is the Visconti Homo Sapiens, and it is, indeed, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right about the "good stuff", NBE. I've been using Crane's plain correspondence cards the last few weeks. For a buck or so per sent correspondence, you get top-of-the-food-chain product, affordable luxury that makes a difference. Also, I've been using Holbein brand plain postcards. Didn't think I'd warm to deckle-edging, but I'm okay with it. Jack/Youngstown

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cross sign is very beautiful. You stored so many things in small box. but the overall design is very good.

    ReplyDelete