A technophile lawyer rediscovers the joys of pen and paper

Friday, April 29, 2011

What's better than getting a bunch of ink samples in the mail?

Ink TenpinsGetting a bunch of full bottles of ink, that's what! I think this order from Goulet Pens just about doubled my ink collection so far.

The reason for ordering so much ink at once? I decided I needed some dark inks for my new Visconti Homo Sapiens. I had some dark ink samples, but I wasn't able to fill the pen from any of the sample vials because the nib is too large to submerge. So, I tried out some of the inks in other pens, then bought eight colors that I thought fit the personality of the Homo Sapiens (though I'll certainly use them with other pens, too)..

Four of those colors are purples: Diamine Damson, Noodler's Purple Martin, Noodler's Nightshade, and Private Reserve Ebony Purple. Why four shades of purple? Because you never know what purple you're going to need. That's just common sense!



But I also got two deep greens — Private Reserve Ebony Green and J. Herbin Vert Empire — and Noodler'sRed-Black, which is what the Visconti is currently inked with, and which looks great flowing out of the pen. The J. Herbin Cacao du Brésil is an interesting color because it's hard to categorize.



I rounded out the order with J. Herbin Rouge Hematite and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. The former is not only a good ink, it has one of the coolest bottle designs ever (special because it is the 340th anniversary ink - see the middle bottle in the top photo). And Bad Belted Kingfisher, besides having a bitchin' name, is a great blue-black and replaces my old bottle, which I lost in an "ink incident" that is still evidenced by stains in the caulk near the sink.



By buying ten bottles, I got a 10% discount, to boot!

ALL SWABS COURTESY OF THE GOULET PENS SWAB SHOP.

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Don't you just love the Homo Sapiens? I use mine daily with Noodlers' Manhattan Blue. It is among the best pens I own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh what a haul! I'd have to admit that these inks are a bit too somber for my taste (except for the 1670 and Kingfisher) but I'm still curios to see them reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost like Christmas for a inkophile. I look forward to reading your thoughts about the business use of Noodler's Red-black or Nightshade.

    I think Private Reserve Ebony-Green works great on yellow legal pads. Nothing like having some fun with inks at the office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You covered mostly all colours in it. I like your collection and easy to find needed ink from here. Nice to share with us.

    ReplyDelete