A technophile lawyer rediscovers the joys of pen and paper

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pens and papers and lawyers, oh my!

Fellow lawyer Gary asked in a comment: "As one Esq to another I'd like to hear more about pen, paper and ink in your practice (as I sit at my desk wearing an ink 'incident')."

Thanks for reminding me, Gary, about one of the reasons I started this blog. I have occasionally tied the subject of a post to my law practice, but I'm sure I've missed some opportunities to do so. I will try to be more conscious of the issue while I draft future posts.

I looked over my posts so far, and there are some posts that reference law practice (albeit sometimes tangentially), including the culture of law (or at least, what I thought it to be), the technology-drenched modern practice of law, the practicalities of fine-point pens for litigation attorneys, how infatuation with gadgets can impede your thought process, a description of my initial set-up for using multiple notebooks for personal and practice task management (a plan that was out the window less than a month later), and the inadequacy of most annual planners for litigation practice.

I'm working on a review of the Levenger Annotation Ruled Yellow Notepads, which is definitely a post related to law practice, as Jay Foonberg says you should advertise yourself as a lawyer by visibly carrying a yellow legal pad everywhere you go!

"Ink incidents" at the office are a small concern for me, but so far I've been lucky. Fortunately, our firm's break room is equipped with a sink, so it's easy for me to rinse out my pens and change inks without much risk of making a mess. But there are plenty of other ways for ink incidents to occur, so I guss I'm bound to have one sooner or later. It's something akin to riding a motorcycle. When I bough t my first one, a friend who was an experienced rider pointedly told me: "There are two kinds of motorcycles: (1) those that have been "laid down" (any crash, however minor, that puts the bike on it's side), and (2) those that will be. I guess the same is true of pens and "ink incidents."


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I am relieved to find out that I am not the only one who takes the time to think and care about these little luxuries in life--much less from a fellow attorney. I'll be here quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THIS is a blog I'd gladly pay to read via my Kindle! (huge hint- smiles). Somehow, I just knew I wasn't the only lawyer spending ridiculous amounts of time in the local calendar/planner section of the office supply store-- actually, storeS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is frightening and comforting to know there are others like me and I am like you...both Note Booker, Esq. and the commentators.

    Thanks
    Zenas

    ReplyDelete