A technophile lawyer rediscovers the joys of pen and paper

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fountain Pen at the Water Park

An unlikely combination, wouldn't you say?

You're probably thinking I tested the durability of my Lamy Safari by taking it down a water flume, but I'm referring to something I saw when my family and I visited Knott's Soak City in Palm Springs in August. Imagine my surprise at the fountain pen design of this fill station near the center of the park:

Soak City Fountain Pen
Fountain Pen art at the Soak City water park
 
Around the base of this "pen" are spigots for filling water shooters, along with a button for shooting water out the top of the "pen." It was my wife that pointed out the fountain pen nib design near the top (thanks, sweetie). As I took the picture, I wondered how many people looked right at that design without any clue as to what it was supposed to imitate.

My guess? Upwards of 95%. But I'm a cynic.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. You're right, NBE, you won't be able to count on too many folks recognizing the design's origin.

    You gotta wonder--our manufacturers have good product, and there're good solid reasons to get re-acquainted with fountain pens (I touched on a few in my "Why Fountain Pens?" essay for Pocket Blonde). Why aren't we seeing manufacturers and retailers working more to promote FP use? Jack/Youngstown

    ReplyDelete